Outdoor advertising is one of the most oldest and popular types of advertising in the world. Outdoor monitoring involves carrying out the monitoring of the billboards which are owned by advertising agencies. The characterizing point of the outdoor advertising is that it can attract a wide audience in a little time.
In Kenya, some of these outdoor advertising companies include:-
- Alliance Media
- Pelican Signs Limited
Some examples of outdoor advertisements include:-
- Street light poles
- High Mast
- Landmark Outdoor
Advantages of Outdoor Monitoring
- Most large advertisers now expect to demonstrate exactly what benefits derive from expenditure on advertising. Senior marketers have always needed evidence that the advertising is meeting its objectives – increasingly they also need to convince their finance director that their advertising budget is being well spent and is yielding an acceptable return. This is where monitoring comes into play.
- Outdoor Monitoring gives an opportunity to the customer to understand exactly when, where, in which part of the city, in what intensity and on what kind of construction was the advertisement posted.
- Outdoor Monitoring can safeguard a company’s campaign by exposing the pitfalls at the right time to the client to enable him to take corrective action
Strategic Africa can be commissioned by clients (agencies, contractors and advertisers) to track outdoor advertisement to ensure that displays:
- Are in the right place
- Are put up on time
- Are with the right design/display
- Remain undamaged during campaign period
- Meet standard outdoor visibility imperatives
- Photographic evidence: The above details are accompanied with the photographic evidence.
Aim of Outdoor Monitoring
The aim of the outdoor monitoring is to provide complete and comprehensive coverage to help the client get value for their advertising budget.
The company can send out a person/(s) on a motorcycle- depending on the number of clients, billboards and also their proximity- to the field with a camera so as to take the photographic evidence of the billboards.
The photographs can then be uploaded to a website at a regular frequency, for example after every week. The website and photographic evidence should be made accessible to the client.
This technique helps in maintaining a close watch on the site to monitor any damages and to fix any fault, which might arise due to rains or other conditions. Also it is a great way to have all the data compiled as per the requirement of the advertiser.
Challenges of Outdoor Monitoring
Some of the challenges that can be encountered in outdoor monitoring include:-
- Harsh weather conditions – This may make it difficult for the persons going out to the field to take photographs to execute the job.
- Mode of transport – Compared to the radius within which the billboards are found.